Household Toxins
can contribute to Health Problems

Know the most common sources
and detox your home for
your own wellbeing


An average house or work place is full of chemical substances. A new house is estimated to contain up to 70'000 chemicals.

That toxic substances from our comfortable home may make us sick is probably the last thing we would think of. Highly polluted indoor air can almost be as bad as outside near a busy road. Why? Many building materials and household products release toxins into the air.

Airborne pollutants stay in the air because buildings usually are greatly insulated with double glazing and equipped with central heating and air conditioning. During the colder seasons lack of good ventilation often happens. Humidity and high temperatures can also intensify the emission.

Such indoor conditions destroy Negative Ions which are beneficial to our health.


Our science looks at a substance-by-substance
exposure and does not take into account the multitude
of exposures we experience in daily life.
If we did, it might change our risk paradigm. The potential risks associated with extremely low-level exposure may be underestimated or missed entirely.

HEATHER LOGAN - CANADIAN CANCER SOCIETY

Symptoms related to Toxic Chemicals in the House

Characterized symptoms that people may encounter are as allergies, headache, restless sleep, fatigue, sore and red eyes, irritated throat with coughing. This is a typical sign that the body is trying to cleanse itself of unhealthy matter.

Many of the indoor toxins from material are so called neurotoxins affecting the nervous system causing brain fog, dizziness, depressive symptoms or nervousness. Constantly being exposed to it can weaken the immune system, triggering chronic health issues.

Children and older people are more vulnerable to it. For People with serious illnesses like cancer it is of particular concern. It worsens their symptoms and may slow down their recovery time.


What are the Sources of these Household Toxins?

Building Material, Furniture

Household Toxins from Paint
Much of the construction material for walls, insulation, ceiling, floor and furniture as well has been treated with some sort of synthetic paints, polishes, preservatives etc. which can vaporize toxics into the air. It is even worse in new buildings. For example a new synthetic carpet may contain up to 120 chemicals many of them neurotoxins.

First signs of sick-building syndrome, the discomfort experienced from building material is often experienced with headache and tiredness.


Personal note: I recently read in the local news paper an article about a woman who had been suffering from household toxins until she found out what caused her health problems.

All began when she and her husband renovated their home. She started to feel unwell. It got worse every day and after a couple of weeks she felt so exhausted that she had to seek a naturopath.

The hair mineral analysis test indicated that she had very high levels of toxic chemicals in her body. It did not take her long to realise where these toxins came from. They had used new timber for building inside the house. This material had been treated with poisonous substances before they bought it.

During the renovation she was 24 hours exposed to the fumes and the body could not keep up with detoxing them. It was simply too much for her. She suffered badly with typical symptoms of fatigue and headache.

After all, it was clear, that for their own health they had to take out all the timber, start again and replace it with naturally treated wood. The naturopath put the woman on a detox regime and she regained her health back.

Household Toxins in the Sleeping Room

Around one third of your life you are sleeping. During this time you are more vulnerable to volatile household toxins. Your metabolism is lowered and your main organs for detoxing, the liver and kidney, are somewhat resting too.

Standard mattresses often contain flame retardants or fomaldehyde which are known to be hazardous. It is best to keep the sleeping room cool and if possible leaving the window open so fresh air can circulate.

Cleansing Products

Cleaning Products
An average family has at least one shelf in the cupboard full of all sorts of cleaning products like cleaner for windows, carpet, stain remover, disinfectants and so on. These are all highly synthetic cocktails which can release toxic fumes when used heavily. Use them in moderation and always ventilate the room thoroughly.

Luckely, there are many alternative solutions to clean the home without nasty chemicals. Eco-friendly products are non-toxic and much safer. Vinegar and Baking Soda are also great and cheap cleaning agents useful in various ways.

Speical micro-fibre cloths can be used for many jobs. They are fantastic and work like magic without the need of any cleaning products at all, just with water. Although, they are quite expensive to buy, it pays back for the liquid cleansers you do not need.

Another great tool I find, is the steam cleanser used for cleaning the carpet, floor and walls. It also works only with water (steam) and removes dirt, dust, bacteria and other microorganism as well.

Air Fresheners

It is nice to have the home smelling lovely of lavender, roses or whatever. Unfortunately, standard Air Fresheners are as much poisoning mixtures as cleaning aids. They are made out of synthetic fragrances and other suspects which are no good at all for your body. They may cause sensitive People headache, irritation and allergies.

If you can not be without it, make sure, you ventilate the rooms thoroughly at least every few houres after using it. Alternatively, use natural essences and incenses.

Lead poisoning from Candles

Candles with long burning time may release dangerous fumes of lead. Some industrial producers mix lead into the wick to make it stronger and longer lasting. Burning a few such candles at the same time for a few hours may exceed the considered safe limit of toxic fumes to over 10 times. Scent candles do also contain similar substances like air fresheners adding an other burden to the body.

Moulds

Humidity, a certain temperature and “standing air” are just the right conditions for black mould to build up on walls in the kitchen, slepping room, bathroom and toilet. Mold in buildings is a specific fungus. It releases metabolites (mycotoxins) into the air. As the name says these are poisoning microorganisms and in high concentration do have negative health effects on humans.

It is not always easy to get rid of mould completely, as it does start to thrive again, but it is worth keeping it at minimum. Good ventilation and moisture control helps a lot. Wash the contaminated areas regularly and always dry properly.


Bottom line... Apparently, the amount and types of household toxins vary in each home. There may be other things that pollute your indoor air beside those mentioned above. Although, it is not possible to avoid all of them, it is best to keep the major sources at minimum to prevent any negative long term effects they can have.


Share with Your Friends:

For further Information about Toxins check out:

What are Body Toxins?

What Types of Toxins are we exposed to?

Food Toxins - Hidden Toxic Chemicals in Our Foods









Stay in Touch!

Get the latest
News and Tips

Sign up here

Email

Name

Then


I respect your privacy.
Unsubscribe at any time.

Most Popular


How to Detox Your Colon Naturally

What is Mucoid Plaque?

Ideas for a 1 Day Detox

Detox Foot Soak Recipes


Connect with us:


[?] Subscribe To This Site

XML RSS
follow us in feedly
Add to My Yahoo!
Add to My MSN
Subscribe with Bloglines


Email

Name

Then

Don't worry -- your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Body Detox News.